Friday, August 3, 2007

The countdown begins...

Hockey season is once again almost upon us. I eagerly await September 17th, when the Avs start their pre-season games vs. the Phoenix Coyotes. The only bad thing about pre-season games is that they aren't televised. That's ok thought. I don't mind listening to the games, as long as Curtis Lechysen (pronounced like "decision") doesn't yell at me everytime the Avs score. I love Lechysen, I really do, and I'm so glad that he was able to continue to work with the Avalanche franchise after retiring. But sometimes he gets so excited on the radio broadcasts that it sounds like he's yelling at ya.

The Colorado Avalanche has made some interesting changes in the off-season. Not the least of which being the acquisition of Scott Hannan and Ryan Smyth. Two solid players that I'd rather see on my team than anyone else's team, LOL.

Still, my favorite player hands down is Karlis Skrastins. I love the way he plays. He's getting a lot of crap on the Avs Forum, but I don't get it. He's solid defenseman, a great shot blocker. He and Brett Clark do a fine job together of shutting down the opposition's biggest lines. No, he doesn't rack up the points. But that's what guys like Joe Sakic and Paul Stastny are there for. Skrastins is there to prevent the other team from racking up points. Give me a solid "at home" defenseman like him over a big scoring defenseman anyday.

No comments: