Saturday, August 4, 2007

When Harry Met Sally


I was flipping through channels this morning and caught the last hour of this on TBS (or was it TNT?). Anyway, I love this movie and will watch it every time it comes on, if I can. I spent New Years Eve watching a marathon that consisted of just this film. It's probably best known for the fake orgasm in a deli scene, not to mention the follow up line delivered by Rob Reiner's mother "I'll have what she's having."

But it's also an incredible love story. To be perfectly honest, I hadn't gotten around to seeing this movie until I moved to Colorado (about 6 years ago). What got me was how effectively the film shows the acquaintanceship between Harry and Sally growing into friendship, and from there blossoming into love.

Harry and Sally meet when she gives him a ride to New York after they both graduate from the University of Chicago. The film jumps through their lives as they both search for love, but fail, bumping into each other time and time again. Finally a close friendship blooms between them, and they both like having a friend of the opposite sex. But then they are confronted with the problem: "Can a man and a woman be friends, without sex getting in the way?"

No comments: