Sunday, October 14, 2007

Smoothie, anyone?

I'm not sure I know anyone who doesn't like smoothies of some kind or another. There are so many varieties out there. My introduction to them was at a Jamba Juice on vacation in California 10 years ago. I made some in a cooking/home ec class in high school one day, which was fun. I made enough that I had a tray I was passing out to friends as I passed them en route to the next class. I tried getting Gage to drink a smoothie I came up with a few weeks ago as a way to get more protein and calcium into his diet. He didn't like it, but I loved it. It consisted of:

1/4 c. smooth tofu
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. low fat vanilla yogurt
1 c. frozen strawberries slightly defrosted
1 tsp. sugar

Just pop it into the blender and puree until smooth. Man is it good. I might try it with blueberries and other fruits when I have the money.

Another thing I do every now and then (just for me), but isn't so much a smoothie is 1 cup of frozen strawberries (again partially defrosted), 1 cup of lemon lime soda and a teaspoon of sugar. Since the strawberries I get aren't sweetened before freezing the sugar adds a little sweetness. Anyhoo, I put that in the blender and puree. Some of the carbonation from the soda gets fizzed out, but there's still a little. If I want more carbonation I start with half the soda and puree the strawberries, then add the rest of the soda and pulse it a few times.

No comments: