Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Stars @ Avalanche

Today was the season opener for the Colorado Avalanche. It rocked. I missed the first 7 minutes because the Ducks and Wings went to a shoot out which overlapped the Avs game. The Avs hosted the Stars and it was just wonderful. I saw some good stuff in this game, I'm liking Hlinka (who is new to the NHL). I also really liked seeing the way Hannan and Smythe played for the team. Paul Stastny got his first career hat trick. The radio announcers after the game kept calling it a natural hat trick, but the last time I checked a natural hat trick was 3 goals scored in succession without any other goals scored in between. Well, Dallas scored a goal before his 3rd goal. So it's not a natural hat trick. It IS a hat trick though, and that was beautiful to see. His first was an absolutely beautiful shot that went right under Turco's right arm. It was a gorgeous first goal of the season for the Avs. Wolski also scored a goal for the Avs, and it was just so pretty.

I love that people keep talking about this "sophomore slump" that seems to happen in the NHL from time to time. I'm not going to say that it's not going to happen, but I'd say that Stastny and Wolski have taken some early steps to prevent it.

It was a little disappointing that the Avs gave up a 4-1 lead by allowing 2 goals in the 3rd period. But it WAS Dallas they were playing, who have a nasty habit of doing that. The Avs gave up a couple of power play goals, which was disappointing. That was an issue last season (giving up power play goals). I'm hoping that they get over that this season and fix it.

The final score was 4-3 Avs, and it was apparently Quenneville's first ever win in the season opener.

No comments: